I’ve meant to post about this for a long time – but it was just one of those things that kept getting put off. But after recently watching a hilarious bit from the comedian Louis C.K. about cell phones and how much we take them for granted (video: Warning Adult Language!) I got the final bit of motivation I needed to get this posted.
Maybe most people are over the initial fascination with “smartphone” era that the iPhone kicked off – but I am still constantly amazed by how much these devices can do and what an integral role mine plays in my day-to-day life. Admittedly I am nerdier than most – I have no idea how my wife manages to walk around 80% of the day w/out her phone on or near her person! – but even though I may be a fringe case who uses the iPhone more than the average bear – and who would be helpless if/when all cell phones stop working – I’m sure everyone can at least appreciate how much these smartphones in our pockets can do.
So – here’s my super nerdy list of all the different ways I use my phone each day. Some days I use only some of these things – others I use almost all of them … But any way you slice it it is just plain insane how much you can do with a smartphone – it really is like a modern Swiss Army knife!
- Family grocery list! (Grocery IQ)
- Exercise (Weight Lifting) (Strong)
- To-Dos and Project Mgmt (Omnifocus)
- Bank Account Mgmt
- Shopping (Amazon, eBay, Starbucks etc)
- Telephone (Remember phones with cords, or the thing you would plug wireless phones into?)
- Text Messages (Would take a book to sum up how this changed everything)
- Digital Camera (“… When I was a kid it took 6 weeks to get your film developed!”)
- Video Camera (Our family video camera in the 90s was the size of a VCR… )
- Music (Google Play)
- Movies (Plex, iMDB, HBOGO, TV Guide)
- Photos (40,000+ of my photos at my finger tips Flickr, FlickrStackr)
- Twitter / Facebook / WordPress (I wrote half this post on my iPhone)
- Clock (the last time I wore a watch was 1997?)
- Encyclopedia (The other day the kids and I did voice search with Google to find “World record longest spaghetti?”… Answer: 12,000 ft).
- Maps / Driving directions
- Medical Advice (WebMD, etc)
- Instant Weather (Dark Sky, Weather Channel)
- Recorder Pro (I love recording audio of my kids, ambient noise, etc)
- Remote Desktop
- Cloud File Access/Mgmt (Dropbox, Box)
- Password Mgmt (LastPass)
- Flashlight (when replacing a video card in my computer under the desk)
- Timer (“10 more minutes on Wii, kids…)
- Podcasts (Pocket Casts)
- Reading Articles “Later” (Instapaper, Pocket)
- Online Video Trainign (Lynda.com)
- iBooks / Audible.com
- Inspiration (TED)
I’m sure I’ve left some stuff out but think I hit all the big ones. So now you know some of my favorite apps – and how nerdy I am. I can’t even imagine how I would do all of the above without my phone- at the very least my desk/office would have a lot of clutter/stuff lying around!
I know it’s probably going to be what kicks off SKYNET and will end up being the death of us all … but until then I am definitely thankful for what my iPhone can do!