I was missing the old, legendary shows of HBO recently so I threw this graphic together. I’m not sure if HBO will ever return to it’s former greatness but here’s hoping. I heard a rumor there might be another Deadwood “movie” getting greenlit soon but they need solid shows/series again not one-offs.
What is this?
“President Trump Google Doodles” is a browser extension (plugin) I made for Google Chrome that does two simple things:
- Gets rid of the Google “image of the day” (a.k.a. “Google Doodle“) from my Google Chrome browser
- Shows a random photo of President Donald J. Trump on the Google Search screen
I won’t get into my reasons on #1 as that’s a whole separate post/topic. Article at the bottom is generally related – but topic too complex to get into here.
As for #2 … actually before I added this my original idea was to create an “American History” version of Google Doodles that would include all the well known (and not-so well known) American holidays, achievements, people and events … since in this day and age American history is under such constant division, derision, revisionism and general attack it’s easy to lose grasp of what made our country great.
Unfortunately as I compiled a list of topics and general logic for the project I realized it would take me a LONG time to finish (if done right) as it would mean creating 300+ images! So I pivoted the project to instead simply showcase photos of the President Trump for now. I may/may not revisit the original “American History” idea in the future … if/when I have the time to do it right. But honestly I enjoy the photos of the President so much I may wait a while. 🙂
I realize the list of people out there who might also want the above stuff may not be very long (or maybe not?) but if anyone is curious give the extension a try – it’s free of course! Details below.
How to Use?
- Install / Open Google Chrome.
- Go here to the Chrome Web Store to install the extension.
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button
- Then load a new browser tab or go to google.com to test it out!
- Currently there are around 50 photos in the rotation
The photos are dynamically loaded from Flickr.com – hopefully that works ok long-term (so far so good on my end).
All photos are copyright to their original owners – none of these photos are my work (sources vary).
If you have any photo suggestions feel free to chime in the comments or on the Facebook page.
- Glitches? I threw this together pretty fast so there may be a layout/visual quirk here or there – if you run into something show-stopping let me know in comments or on the Facebook page.
- User Options: If my OCD holds eventually the extension might add a setting or two users can toggle – such as: categories of photos to show/hide, etc but for now the extension has no user settings.
- Chrome Install Page: Direct link to Chrome Web Store to get the extension
- Facebook: Official/public FB page for the extension, update announcements, etc.
- Google Doodle: If you want to view/read more about Google’s “Doodles”
- Related Article: Google doodles aren’t just naff – they’re trying to rebrand the past (The Guardian)
(Not necessarily my specific feelings on the matter – but related/interesting take)
Ok that’s all – if anyone tries it let me know what you think!
PS: By the way if anyone just wants to get rid ot the Google Doodle image (w/out using this President Trump extension) here’s an extension by someone else that does that: http://bit.ly/DoodleBlocker